Highlights of Course (To top)
Through this fun and dynamic course, you will learn Spanish by putting to practice the elements essential for Spanish fluency. Through this course, you will:
- Study the differences between slang and formal Spanish.
- Learn essential phrases and vocabulary needed for the workplace or for situations specific to your goals
- Integrate Spanish into daily routine for super learning efficiency.
- Practice Spanish speaking skills with native speakers.
- Receive customized instruction tailored to help you achieve your fluency goals
- Immediately be able to speak and comprehend Spanish phrases
- Immerse yourself in Hispanic culture without having to traveling abroad.
- Explore traditions and lifestyles of the local Hispanic community.
- Learn how to learn foreign languages. Gain unique foreign language learning skills.
- Achieve fluency in a fun and pressure-free environment
- Pronounce words and phrases like a native speaker
- Enjoy CD, video, internet activities that effectively supplement learning process
At the advanced intermediate level, students further delve into the following topics, continuing on knowledge acquired in the level 2 course:
Grammar and Vocabulary
- Review of intermediate concepts
- Preterite versus imperfect
- Future tense
- Conditional tense
- Pluperfect tense
- Imperfect subjunctive tense
- Compound tenses
- Direct and indirect object pronouns
- Reflexive verbs
- Forming adverbs (--mente)
- Stem changing verbs (e>ie)
- Stem changing verbs (o>ue)
- Stem changing verbs (e>i)
- Verbs with irregular yo forms
- More expressions with "tener"
- Difference between "ser" and "estar"
- Expressions with "estar"
- Idiomatic expressions
- Verbs like "gustar"
- Prepositional phrases
- "Por" versus "para"
- Estar a punto de + infinitive/ Acabar de + infinitive
- Indefinite and negative words ("algo" versus "nada", "alguien" versus "nadie", etc.)
- Time expressions with "hacer"
- Demonstrative adjectives and pronouns
- Comparisons and superlatives
- "Saber" versus "conocer"
- Personal "a"
- Pronouns after prepositions
- Verbs that change meaning in the preterite
- Concept of "lo" with adjective
- Al + infinitive
- Constructions with "se"
- Stressed possessive adjectives and pronouns
- Relative pronouns
- Conjunctions followed by the subjunctive and indicative
- Common proverbs
- Colloquial expressions
- Essential conversational phrases and words
- Vocabulary themes, in addition to expanding on words lists from Intermediate Spanish level, focus on words from the following areas: Los lugares, la ropa, la farándula, el hogar, la gastronomía, los adjetivos descriptivos, la naturaleza, el medio ambiente, las nacionalidades, los países, la carrera,y las emergencias)
Materials (To top)
Textbook, activities manual, online activity access, handouts, 2 audio CDs.
In Class Instruction (To top)
Activities include lecture and presentations (video, audio) individual and group activities and games.
Outside Class Activities* (To top)
- Application of daily integration methods techniques
- Textbook and handout assignments
- Audio and video assignments
- Spanish chat* (Premium Tuition only)
- Interactive online activities
- Completion of homework exercises
*The amount of time invested in out of class instruction hinges on the discretion of the student, depending on the degree of his or her fluency goals.